About the instructor
Gerry Starnes, M.Ed., is an Austin, Texas area teacher, facilitator, and practitioner. He is the author of the award-winning book, Spirit Paths: The Quest for Authenticity, and several other spirit-oriented publications.
A light-hearted and engaging speaker, Gerry has offered workshops and presentations for more than 15 years. In 2003, he established the first shamanic journey circle in Austin, which still continues weekly. He created the six-month immersive Spirit Paths program, the basis for the book. He also has created more than a dozen videos on shamanic topics, hosted in the Shamanic Passages YouTube channel.
Masters of Education (M.Ed) in Psychology, Special Education, and Education.
Experience and Distinctions
Shamanic Practitioner and Teacher
Usui Reiki Master/Teacher
Gerry Starnes, M.Ed.
Creating Your Shamanic Practice (Foundations)
Living Authentically in a Shamanic World
You are probably exploring the courses of the Shamanic Passages Institute because you are looking for a way to connect more deeply and authentically with yourself and "that which is greater than you are"—or Spirit. You are not alone! Many people in our culture are also feeling in some way separate from the rest of the world and from Nature.
Feeling alone, and feeling trapped in that aloneness, is the worst feeling in the world. It is more than uncomfortable. It can be frightening. If you are like many people, you may have already tried various approached to feeling whole and connected again. Some worked pretty well, while others did not seem to help.
So, let us go back to the root of our humanness some 100,000 years ago. Shamanic practice, grounded in connection to Nature and to Spirit, has been practiced for millennia. Only recently has humankind severed that deep and rich relationship, and we have suffered for it—both personally and as a species.
Contemporary shamanism is an effort to reach back to practices developed long ago to create and maintain balance between oneself and everything else. These practices are as applicable to contemporary living as they have ever been. But you have to change the way you perceive things and how you interact with the world.
The Creating Your Shamanic Practice course offers you the fundamentals of the shamanic tradition and worldview. It is an ongoing and growing body of material and support to help you.
By registering in the Creating Your Shamanic Practice course, you gain access to a wealth of information about contemporary shamanic practices that you can use every day to create and mold your life into more of what you want and less of what you do not want. Every 7 days, beginning the day after you register, you will receive a new lesson video, plus access to the associated materials.
Three videos from the series—Week 1: Spiritual Connection Through Mysticism and Week 3: What Is Smudging? and Week 15: Finding Your Drum—are available free! (Please note, however, that the support materials for these lessons, including the transcripts, are only available to full students.)
As a student of this course, you gain access to a supportive group of people interested in shamanic practices, just like you. Through the closed Facebook page, Shamanism In Daily Life, you will have access to ongoing information, videos, live events, and even topical challenges to help you to learn and experience shamanic practices for yourself.
At $10 a month for all of this content, it is a great deal. Learn more about this option at the bottom of this page.
In this course, you will learn more about what it means to live your live authentically, with less fear and regret.
So register now. Begin or upshift your journey today.
What this course includes...
- Welcome to Creating Your Shamanic Practice!
- Before we begin...
- The Shamanic Journey: Beginner's Guide to Journeying (PDF)
- Power Animals: The Role of Spirit Guides in the Shamanic Journey (PDF)
- Spiritual Connection Through Mysticism FREE TRIAL
- Evolutionary Tree of Religion
- Spiritual Connection Through Mysticism (Transcript)
- Shamanism Past and Present FREE TRIAL
- Eight Characteristics of Shamanic Practice
- Shamanism Past and Present (Transcript)
- What Is Smudging? FREE TRIAL
- What Is Smudging (Transcript)
- The Power of the Shamanic Journey
- Shamanic Journey Resources
- Drumming Soundtrack
- Your Shamanic Journey Center
- The Power of the Shamanic Journey (Transcript)
- Journeying to the Spirits of Place
- Journeying To Spirits Of Place (Transcript)
- The Medicine Wheel (Part One)
- Four Directions Medicine Wheel Comparison
- The Jewish Directions Wheel
- The Medicine Wheel (Part One ~ Transcript)
- The Medicine Wheel, Part Two
- The Medicine Wheel (Part Two ~ Transcript)
- Calling the Directions
- Calling The Directions (Group)
- Calling the Directions (Transcript)
- Your Shamanic Day Plan (Part One)
- Your Shamanic Day Plan (Part Two)
- Touching Base